About Medicare Set Aside
This online program is designed to prepare working professionals with an overview of the MSA process and familiarizes the participant with the CMS website, as well as the acronyms and definitions of the terms used in this field. This course takes students through the CMS Memorandum Highlights and provides a sample MSA. Participants are provided with a case example complete with medical records and step by step instructions, so that students may practice doing an MSA arrangement. Upon completion of the program students will receive a certificate of completion that can be used when applying for certification from the Commission on Health Care Certification.
Program cost is $625 for the 30 hour program.
This is an entirely online self-paced (30 contact hour) program.
The online material consists of pre-recorded lectures, assigned reading and a multiple choice final exam. There is an instructor of record who will respond to participant inquiries about any of the instructional content.
The program consist of the following modules:
- Introduction to Medicare Set-Aside Arrangements
- Medicare Secondary Compliance
- Differences Between Life Care Plans and MSA
- Differences Between Medicare and Medicaid
- Role of the Attorney in the MSA Process
- Medicare Allocation Cost Projection
- Medicare Part D, Workers Compensation and MSA Workers Compensation, TPL and Supplemental Trust
- Rising Financial Solutions
- Structured Settlements vs. Lump Sum Payments
- Case Study in Developing an MSA
- Identify the theoretical and applied foundations for the MSA
- Recognize that adherence to a consistent methodology is essential to develop an acceptable MSA
- Recognize the multidimensional and transdisciplinary nature of the MSA process
- Understand the process required to submit an acceptable MSA
- Understand and be able to maneuver the CMS website
- Understand when an MSA is appropriate
- Understand the professional administration of funds
- Understand the role of the COBC
- Understand the role of the Structured Settlement Broker
- Understand the difference between Customary and Fee Schedule
- States and how that applies to the MSA
- Professional Orientation to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- The Who, What, When and Why’s of Medicare Set-Aside Allocations
- Resources Available to the MSA Professional
- When is a referral for an MSA appropriate?
- Attorney Lien/Conditional Payment
- Professional Administration of the Medicare Set-Aside Allocation
- Consistent Errors Seen by CMS and How to Avoid Them
- Medicare Secondary Payer Recovery Center
- Structured Settlements